Mayor with Jill Twamley MBE.jpg
Mayor with Special Recognition Award winner.jpg
Mayor with Volunteer Award winners 2019.jpg
Mayor with Young Volunteer winners.jpg
Mayor honours local volunteers for their dedication to the borough
22 July 2019
Forty-two volunteers, aged between 15 and 79, have been recognised by the Mayor for their valuable commitment to the community at the Mayor’s annual Volunteer Awards on Friday 19 July 2019.
There were six award categories this year – long service volunteers, individual volunteers, individual trustees, young volunteers (under 25), volunteering teams and a business award.
The Long Service Award was handed to 10 deserving volunteers this year, who have collectively volunteered for over 250 years. One of these winners was also honoured with a special recognition for her outstanding service – Jill Twamley MBE has volunteered for St John Ambulance for over 50 years, representing the organisation in the borough, county and nationally.
Each winner was presented with a framed certificate by the Mayor of Reigate & Banstead, Councillor Keith Foreman, at the ceremony last Friday. The ceremony was held at Reigate Town Hall, and the winners were then treated to a reception to thank them for their hard work.
The Mayor said of the winners: "I’m thrilled that so many hardworking and dedicated volunteers were nominated by their peers again this year. My Mayoral theme is “Working together for our great community”, and the Volunteer Awards is a wonderful way to recognise all those who generously volunteer.
"Many of them put in a lot of time and effort into helping others, and it’s this selfless attitude that means so much to many members of our community. I cannot express my gratitude enough to each and every winner."
The annual awards scheme, now in its sixteenth year, celebrates members of the borough who have spent time helping others. The awards are run by Reigate & Banstead Borough Council and Voluntary Action Reigate and Banstead.
Alisdair Semple, Chair of Voluntary Action Reigate & Banstead said: "Every day, we see the difference that volunteers are making in people’s lives. Volunteers don’t just think about making the world a better place, they get out there and do it! The Mayor’s Volunteer Awards is just a small way of saying thank you to our local volunteers for the difference they make."
- The Mayor with all the winners of the Volunteer Awards 2019
- The Mayor with the Young Volunteers winners
- The Mayor with the Special Recognition award winner, Jill Twamley MBE
Notes to editors
- If you would like to find out more about volunteer opportunities in Reigate and Banstead, contact Voluntary Action Reigate & Banstead www.varb.org.uk or call 01737 763156.
Full list of Mayor’s Volunteer Award winners 2019:
Special Recognition Award
- Jill Twamley MBE, for 50 years of volunteering for St John Ambulance (see below)
Long Service Volunteer Awards x 10
- Dave King, volunteer at Radio Redhill at the East Surrey Hospital for 32 years
- Margaret Tilford, volunteer Scout Leader at the Reigate District Scouts since 1973 (45 years)
- Roger Findlay, Downlands Trust for over 15 years
- Farah Spehrenberger, Renewed Hope Trust for 12 years
- Jill Twamley MBE, active member of St John Ambulance for over 50 years
- Ron and Pam Rodgers, joined the Reigate & Redhill Live at Home Scheme over 20 years ago
- Janet Hood, volunteered for Staywell at the Woodhatch Community Centre for over 22 years
- Leslie Cooper, 79-year-old Staywell volunteer at Regent House Community Centre, Horley, for 10 years
- Jean Rodgers, Staywell volunteer at Regent House Community Centre, Horley, for over 10 years
- Wendy Martin, member of The Redhill Corps of Drums & Band for 38 years
Individual Volunteer Awards x12
- Sue Bain, The Children’s Trust
- David Barr, St Catherine's Hospice
- Ros Simmonds, St Catherine's Hospice
- Graham Mountain, Reigate District Scouts
- Patricia Neale, Age Concern MRR
- Vivien Carroll, Age Concern MRR
- Helen Hopkins, 9th Reigate Scout Group
- Marcus King, Alzheimer's Society
- Andrew Buchanan, Reigate Beekeepers Society
- Geoff Knight, Dyscover Limited
- Gabrielle Horwood, Reigate & Redhill Live at Home
- Alan Beaver, Reigate & Redhill Live at Home
Young Volunteer Awards x 6
- Tom Littleford, Orbit Shed
- Megan Vale, Orbit Shed
- Kieron Hook, Staywell
- Ben Spearman-Oxx, YMCA
- Emily Horne, YMCA
- Amelia O’Leary, St Mark’s Community Lunch
Volunteer Team Awards x 8
- Furnistore Men in Sheds, East Surrey
- Skylark Charity Support Network, VARB
- The Rotary Club of Banstead
- Volunteer Befrienders at Reigate & Redhill Live at Home
- Volunteer Drivers at Reigate & Redhill Live at Home
- The Foodbank, St Matthew’s Church
Individual Trustee Awards x 6
- Nigel Leach, Include.org
- Eddie Warans, Reigate District Scouts
- Margarida Littlefair, Stripey Stork
- Freda Clark, Furnistore, East Surrey
- Jenny Rayner, The Lucy Rayner Foundation
- Glenys Mason, St John’s Primary School
Business Awards x 1
- Volt Europe, for supporting the Reigate and Redhill Live at Home scheme for 10 years
If you would like more information about particular award winners and why they were nominated or photos of them receiving their awards from the Mayor, please contact: