Welcome To Horley Town Council
The Parish of Horley was created in 1894. Following a variety of successive local government re-organisations, the Parish Council eventually became a Town Council and changed its name in 1974. It is a busy council, and its complement of seven councillors has increased gradually over the years to its present strength of eighteen. Eighteen councillors are elected every 4 years.
The Chairman (and Town Mayor) is appointed by the 18 councillors at the Annual General Meeting in May and usually serves for a period of one year.
Local Government in England is conducted through different levels of organisation. Horley Town Council is closest to the local community and represents the first of the three tiers of Local Government, which comprise Parish and Town Councils; Borough or District Councils and County Councils.
The Town Council liaises constantly not only with its larger neighbours, Reigate & Banstead Borough Council and with Surrey County Council and but also with many other voluntary and official bodies. Hence all three organisations have different responsibilities but enjoy close working relationships. Each body of local government is run independently and is controlled by its own set of democratically elected councillors.