Horley Carnival 2019 - A day of celebration
Horley Carnival 2019
The theme for this year's carnival was 'Great Moments in History' and yet again Horley showed what a fun and vibrant place it is to live and work in. The parade float themes ranged from the 1966 world cup, the moon landing, Live Aid, Kings and Queens and other historical figures, and Woodstock to name just a few. The energy of the dancers and various walking bands kept the tempo upbeat and added to the atmosphere of celebration.
Once the parade floats had arrived into the Recreation Grounds the Arena events took over as the focus of entertainment. There were displays from Flytes of fancy, an unusual sheepdog show featuring geese, an Indian dance group, Bollysteps, the Gatwick Caledonian pipe band, Surrey School of Performing Arts and Jo Jingles. Elsewhere in the park Team Rubicon were giving free lessons at the skatepark for scooters and skateboarders and the Beach's Funfair was in full swing. This year roaming animatronic characters were back again as were Punch & Judy and a wide variety of individual stall holders. The day was rounded off by a fabulous fireworks display.
The Procession was organised by members of Horley Lions Club and was well marshalled, thanks to the support of numerous volunteers.
The judging of the floats was carried out by Cllr Rosemary Absalom, Deputy Mayor of Reigate & Banstead Borough Council and Cllr David Powell, Horley Town Mayor.
The 2019 Carnival Parade Winners were:
Juniors 1st – Brooklands School
Juniors 2nd – Meath Green Infant School
Juniors 3th – Copthorne Prep School
Seniors 1st – The Archway Theatre
Seniors 2nd – Gracewell of Horley Park
Seniors 3rd – The Tavern
Most Humorous Parade Entry – The Bull Public House
Best Dressed Parade Entry – Cavendish Care
Special thanks to the following
- Gatwick Airport Limited - Sponsorship
- Gatwick Group - ParadeSupport
- Borough Cllr Tony Schofield - Sponsorship
- Britannia Crest Recycling Ltd - Parade transport & skips
- PLG Signs - Banners
- RBBC - Car Parks Management
- Mad Ideas - Carnival Posters & programme
- Susy Radio - On Air publicity
- Simon Court - Hay Bales
- Horley Town Council - Use of Recreation Ground & General support
- St John Ambulance
- Beach's Funfair - Fireworks display
- Mansell McTaggart - Advertising Boards
- MJ & ML McCubbine Farms - Parade Transport
- Jarrett & Lam - Website design and support
- Brackenside360 - Website content