Waste Amenity Tips to begin re-opening
There will be a phased reopening of most of Surrey's community recycling centres (CRC) from Monday 11 May. To make sure that each facility can operate in line with Public Health England guidelines, and to protect the safety of our staff and our residents, there will be restrictions in place.
However, there are limits to the numbers of people on each site, changes to what materials are accepted and revised opening hours. Due to the fewer numbers of people who can safely be on site and the impact of potential queuing on surrounding roads, our smaller sites in Bagshot, Caterham, Cranleigh, Dorking and Warlingham will remain closed.
Residents should only use the CRCs if they absolutely need to, and must check for the latest information before they travel at surreycc.gov.uk/recycling or by calling 03456 009 009 as these arrangements are subject to change.
As outlined in DEFRA guidance, journeys to waste sites are only allowed under the lockdown restrictions if the waste materials cannot be stored at home without causing risk of injury or harm to health. Please see the Government's guidance about essential travel (GOV.UK)
- Social distancing measures must be adhered to at all times by both staff and visitors. All site users must adhere to the 2 metre social distancing rules in place.
- Ideally, only one person per vehicle should travel to the site, as only one person will be permitted outside their vehicle once on-site. People must remain in their vehicle whilst queuing.
- No assistance will be given to offload materials by site staff so only bring what you can safely carry.
- Do not attend the site if you are self-isolating due to having/or having had possible COVID-19 symptoms.
- If any households have had COVID-19 symptoms, then the waste should be left for 72 hours before being brought to site. Waste should be doubled bagged.
- During the first reopening phase, residents can only bring black bag waste and garden waste.
- Limiting the CRCs to two materials means residents will be able to park in alternate parking bays with dedicated access to containers. This means that social distancing will be possible at all times, which is essential to operate the sites safely and protect residents and staff. It will also help residents to quickly dispose of their waste.
- Opening hours have been extended to help as many people as possible to pass through each day. Queues are still expected outside the sites so please be patient.
- Residents can only bring their waste in cars – no vans, pickups or trailers will be allowed into the CRCs at any time.
These site rules apply to all residents visiting any of our CRCs at all times.