We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to use the site, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on the Horley Town Council website.

To see our cookie policy, please click here: Cookie Policy

Town Councillor Vacancy

Could you be interested in becoming a Horley Town Councillor?

We have a vacancy following the resignation of Tania Peppiatt owing to recent illness.

Check out the Town Council pages on our web site for information about all that Horley Town Council does. For instance you can look at our Annual Report to see the kind of things we are involved in. This will give you an idea of the responsibilities of being a Horley Town Councillor. Or you can simply pop in to the offices and collect some of our publications and talk the matter over with council staff.

Being a Councillor is an opportunity to help make a difference to the quality of life here for all Horley residents.

You don't need any special qualifications to be a local Councillor, just have an interest in doing things for the good of Horley and a willingness to commit up to several hours each month.

There are around 10,000 community, parish and town councils in England and Wales; they are corporate bodies and local authorities. They have a powerful voice to represent local people.

Town councils are the part of local government closest to the people: They serve the smallest area and are responsible for the most local of matters. Very importantly, these councils can "precept" - raising a sum collected with the council tax each year to improve facilities and services for local people.

Town Councils can also comment on planning applications - they are statutory consultees (they have to be consulted if they so wish) and can be represented at public inquiries.

In gaining Quality Status in 2004, Horley Town Council has demonstrated that it has placed the highest emphasis on consistently achieving excellence and innovation.

If that has whetted your appetite then contact us for further details. The Town Council intends to co-opt a replacement at their next council meeting on 14 February 2006. If you are interested, then write or pop in and see the Town Clerk, Council Offices, Albert Road, Horley RH6 7JA. Application Forms are available which will need to be received no later than Wednesday 8 February.

< Back to Latest News

Subscribe to our enewsletter